click on the image above to watch the video on Vimeo
In a world filled with a desperate striving to fill silence and to connect with others, a wonderful video aptly named “How to Be Alone” might be one of the best things you can show in class. I actually had the students do a quick write on how they feel when they are alone before we started watching this video.
Here is what I asked the students before watching the video:
- What questions do you have about being alone?
- Why is being alone considered a bad thing?
- When should we worry about others being alone? How do we know they might need someone in their life? Is being alone a good life choice?
- Why are some people mostly alone?
- Why is solitary confinement seen as the ultimate punishment?
- How would my life be different if I lived alone?
- How do YOU handle loneliness?
- What would you share with your child or younger brother/sister/cousin about being alone?
- Am I doing enough to make sure my friends don’t feel alone?
- How can you increase your chances of finding a good friend?
Feel free to add thoughts or links below.